TUSP’s 2019 Research Recognition Day, Dedicated to Dean Peter H. Doukas, Ph.D.
Friday, April 12, 2019, Temple University School of Pharmacy – Temple University School of Pharmacy hosted its annual Research Recognition Day, an event that celebrates the research efforts of students and faculty. At its opening, the event committee dedicated the event to Dean Peter H. Doukas, Ph.D. to recognize his unwavering support of student and faculty research and his last year as dean in anticipation of his stepping down on June 30, 2019.
Gene Morse, PharmD, FCCP, BCPS, a SUNY Distinguished Professor at the University of Buffalo School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences and an internationally regarded NIH-funded antiretroviral researcher gave a keynote lecture, “HIV Pharmacotherapy: A Catalyst for Global Capacity Building and Pharmaceutical Innovation.” Dr. Morse’s inspirational lecture highlighted pharmacy as a means for connecting cultures and exploring new opportunities in patient care.
For the poster session, the main feature, the student body and faculty welcomed around 50 professionals with various backgrounds in pharmacy and pharmaceutical science to observe, appreciate, and judge their research and work as posters on display throughout the fourth floor of the School of Pharmacy.
The event commenced with a poster awards ceremony recognizing the following student research and authors.
PhD, Pharmaceutical Sciences Student Research Awards
· First Place – “Apelin a day keeps diabetes away” by Connor Quinn
· Second Place – “Development of a new nanoemusion system intended for targeting drug delivery to HIV lymphocyte reservoir” by Di Wu
PharmD Student Research Awards
· First Place – “Variations in Guideline-Driven Versus Routine Clinic Blood Pressure Measurement” by Jonathan Lapin, David Link (Lewis Katz School of Medicine MD candidate)Golda Peysakhova, Vatsal Trivedi, and Matthew Wood
· Second Place – “Treatment of hepatitis c virus and effect on glycemic control” by Michael Arutunian, Cole Cecchini, Tina Lee
· Third Place – “An evaluation of digoxin use at an academic medical center” by Kafilat Adeleke, Sara Groome, Cavan O”Kane, and Clarence Walker
Case Study Award
· “Canagliflozin-induced fungal urosepsis: A case report” by Natasha Powell
Temple University School of Pharmacy is grateful to the following companies that generously sponsored 2019 Research Recognition Day.
· BioMatrix Specialty Pharmacy
· Emerson Pharmaceuticals
· IRISYS, Pharma Development & GMP Manufacturing
The 2019 Research Recognition Day Committee included faculty members, Drs. Margaret Miklich (co-chair), Van Hellerslia (co-chair), Ken Korzekwa, David Lebo, Melissa Rotz, and Ellen Walker and staff members, Katie Battista, Maria Cruz, Marilyn Meissler, Emma Palluzzi, Scotia Rambo, and Chris Van Vessem.