A Philadelphia Story … About Pharmacy
The Temple School of Pharmacy (TUSP) began in 1901 and was part of the rapid expansion that Temple University enjoyed before its official elevation from college to university in 1907 — the same year TUSP was formally founded.
The School of Pharmacy sprang up in response to the growing demand for affordable, high-quality education at a time when the apprenticeship method was becoming obsolete. An increasing need for “modern” practitioners required modern facilities, and TUSP emerged to meet the demand.
TUSP bestowed its first degree in pharmacy in 1905 after conducting hands-on evening classes for four years at Samaritan Hospital. Samaritan was then a health care facility erected by Russell Conwell, Temple’s own founder; it is now Temple University Hospital, one of the premier academic medical centers in the country.
Today, we owe our existence in part to the same vision that characterized Conwell’s leadership throughout his career and still guides Temple today: the belief in creating high-quality academic opportunities for individuals based on their inner potential — not their means. More than a century later, the School of Pharmacy is honored to uphold that legacy every day.